How to take part in the AGM and rehearsals from your home
(instructions courtesy Valerie Thompson)
- Zoom is a way of maintaining rehearsals using our computers for those not ready to return to Wednesday practice. In a Zoom rehearsal you will see everyone who is taking part in the Zoom on your screen, you will see and hear Joel, and you can hear the choir who are actually there (when we are allowed to return to the hall). However, you can sing as loud as you like, no-one is going to hear you as you will be muted (see the little icon at the corner of your face).
- You will need a computer or tablet with a microphone and a camera. Most tablets will have both, as will most laptops. Look for a little circle in the middle at the top of the screen, that will be your camera. If you have a PC and are not sure, click on the Settings button and then type Sound where you will see details of your built-in loudspeakers (or not) and Camera for the same reason.
- Remove all other noise in the room (radio, children, dogs, mobile phone) as this can interfere with the sound quality for everyone else.
- If you don’t want your background to be on view you can have a Virtual Background. Click on the upward facing arrow next to Stop Video at the bottom left hand corner of the screen, choose Virtual Background, and choose one of the options (I like the tropical beach!) or upload a photo of your own.
- If you are not sure about any of this then email me at Valerie.thompson(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)btinternet.com and I will invite you to a personal Zoom meeting for you to log into and we can then see whether you are already set up. If your computer doesn’t have a camera they can be bought cheaply online from Amazon or from Curry’s (c.£30) and plugged into a USB slot in your computer. If it doesn’t have a microphone either, then get a webcam with a built in microphone.
6. You can load the Zoom app onto your computer if you want, or just connect using the link on the email you will be sent inviting you to join. If requested, type in the password from the email.
- The person organizing the Zoom will know you are in the Waiting Room, so wait to be let in.
- You will then be able to see Joel who will take the rehearsal as normal. And you will be able to hear some of the choir singing when we are allowed back.
- We will have breaks when you can ask questions. If you want to ask a question, then you can use the Chat facility where you type in your question and hit the return button.
- We can also vote using the system, which will be useful at the AGM. We will tell you how to do this nearer the date.
Back to home page